10 Super-Natural Things to Do in Tofino, BC
Tofino, BC is a beautiful destination on the west coast of Vancouver Island known for its natural beauty, stunning beaches, and outdoor activities. We stayed at the Hotel Zed which is an absolute blast. The 70s decor, the family-friendly design, and the walkable distance to the beach make it a really fun stay.
Natural Beauty: Tofino is known for its stunning natural beauty, including long stretches of sandy beaches, old-growth rainforests, a rugged coastline, and abundant wildlife. The area is also home to the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, which offers visitors a chance to explore the region’s unique ecosystems and marine life.
Tofino is known for its world-class surfing, with waves that attract surfers from around the world. There are a number of surf schools and rental shops in the area, making it easy for visitors to try their hand at surfing. Tofino has a rich history and culture, with a strong First Nations presence in the area. Visitors can learn about the local history and culture through tours, museums, and cultural events.
I’ve also heard that Tofino is home to a number of excellent restaurants, cafes, and breweries, offering visitors a chance to sample local cuisine and craft beer. Since we’ve just arrived, I’m going to be charting a course and heading to see what we can eat and drink.
During our time in Tofino, which is about 5hrs of travel from door-to-door from Vancouver, BC, we’re staying in a Family Room, at the Hotel Zed, which has:
- Full bath with tub and shower, double vanity, separate toilet room
- 2-piece guest bath
- Main bedroom with King bed
- Bunk room with double over double bunk and single day bed
- 50” frame TV in the living room, 30” frame TV in the bunk room, 50” smart TV in the bedroom
- Dining room for 8, Full-size Smeg fridge, stove top, and full-size oven
- The locally-sourced, waste-free coffee program
- Vaulted ceilings, forest views.
The hotel itself has:
- Sunken Living Room with teardrop fireplaces
- ROAR live fire restaurant and bar
- Psychic’s Den with a drop-in tarot card reader, based on availability
- ROAR Coffee & Shop for everything you need to get caffeinated for the day
- Retro Office for taking care of business (or just hanging out)
- Mini Disco with an interactive light-up floor
- Bike Path that goes right through the lobby
- Stillwater Spa for holistic massage treatments nestled in our bird sanctuary (Closed November through April)
- Hidden 1980s Arcade
- Swell Paddle + Surf for paddleboard & surf rentals, lessons, and more
- In-room, waste-free, local coffee program
- Serene Bird Sanctuary overlooking the Tofino mudflats
- Seven-minute walk to famous Chesterman Beach
- Funky surfboard Outdoor Shower with warm water!
- Pet-friendly rooms (designated rooms, pet fee applies)
- Fast & free Wi-Fi & free parking
- Huge hot tub & barrel sauna in the rainforest
- All ages Rebel Playground with shuffleboard, bocci ball & more
- Custom-built, totally interactive driftwood VW bus
Ok, so let’s assume you’re all set up at the hotel. People come to Tofino because of its astonishing closeness to nature. There’s nature and there’s super-nature, and Tofino is the beating heart of British Columbia’s super-natural beauty.
To make sure your time is spent indulging in the freshest air and stunning outdoors, here are…
10 things to do on your visit to Tofino:
- Surfing: Tofino is known for its world-class surfing, and there are several local surf schools that offer lessons for beginners.
- Whale Watching: Take a boat tour to see gray and humpback whales up close. You may also spot sea lions, seals, and dolphins.
- Hot Springs Cove: Take a scenic boat ride to the natural hot springs where you can relax in the natural pools while enjoying the breathtaking views.
- Go on a Hike: Tofino is surrounded by forests and parks, and there are numerous hiking trails, including the popular Tonquin Trail.
- Visit the Tofino Botanical Gardens: A beautiful and tranquil garden showcasing the flora and fauna of the West Coast of Vancouver Island.
- Take a Scenic Flight: Get a bird’s eye view of the stunning scenery by taking a scenic flight over the rugged coast and islands.
- Explore the Tide Pools: Visit the tide pools at Chesterman Beach and explore the unique marine life found in these shallow pools.
- Go on a Fishing Trip: Tofino is known for its salmon and halibut fishing, and there are several charters available for guided fishing trips.
- Kayaking: Take a guided kayak tour of Clayoquot Sound and explore the inlets, coves, and islands of the area.
- Visit Local Art Galleries: Tofino is a hub of creativity and has several galleries showcasing local art and crafts. The Eagle Aerie Gallery is a must-visit, featuring beautiful carvings and artwork by local First Nations artists.
The best places we ate in Tofino
- Roar – The coffee shop is open 7 am-2 pm and the restaurant opens 5 pm-10 pm and both are fantastic. They’re in-house at the Hotel Zed, so lots of parking, and great for either a grab-n-go coffee and strawberry scone in the morning or a sit-down occasion in the evening.
- Ouest – French-style bakery and patisserie. Absolutely lovely.
- Tacofino Food Truck – The original Tacofino! Go a little earlier than you want to eat since there may be a queue. Worth it though.
- Rhino – Excellent coffee and delicious donuts. (Get the Boston Creme).
- Shed – Friendly atmosphere, excellent burgers, and really really good fried pickles (named Britney’s Spears).
- The Tofino Brewing Company – get a flight and taste four. Then grab some to bring home.
- Chocolate Tofino – Really, excellent ice cream!
Want to see more from our trip? Head over to Instagram and follow @JamesRCS to keep up with stories and posts.
Leave a Reply