10 Instant Pot Recipes for Beginners
I’m not a great cook, although I do have a few staples that I’ve got down to a fine art, including my spaghetti bolognese, Japanese Katsu curry, and my Dad’s “famous winter stew”. However, after getting my first real kitchen gadget I’ve discovered the amazing world of Instant Pot recipes.
The Instant Pot is a fancy pressure cooker with settings for meat, stew, poultry, rice, porridge, and even yogurt. While I’m going give making my own yogurt a miss, I’ve discovered these super-simple, one-pot recipes that anyone can make.
Still deciding on which one to get? Here’s a handy guide from Wonderstreet.
1) One-Hour, One-Pot Beef Stew
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
- 3 carrots
- 3 potatoes
- 3 celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce
- 3 lbs of marbled beef steak (get one about 1-1.5 inches thick)
- Beef or turkey gravy
- Beef stock
- 2 glasses of red wine (1 for the stew, 1 for you)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Roughly dice your vegetables and steak
- Turn Instant Pot to ‘Saute’ and wait for it to heat up
- Pour in oil and brown your steak pieces, then take them out and put them aside
- Put in onions and fry them until they’re soft
- Add the steak back
- Add 2.5 cups of beef stock
- Close the lid and set Instant pot to ‘Manual’ for 35 minutes
- Drink wine
- Press ‘Cancel/Warm’ on the Instant Pot
- After 5 minutes, release the manual pressure valve (be careful, steam is hot)
- Open the lid and add vegetables and add 2 tablespoons of beef/turkey gravy powder
- Close the lid and select ‘Manual’ for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, press ‘Cancel Warm’ for 5 minutes.
- Manual pressure release and open up the lid.
- Serve in a big bowl with some bread
2) Instant Pot Lentil and Spinach Soup
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup of brown lentils, rinsed in cold water
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 5 cups of baby spinach
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
- Press the ‘Saute’ button on Instant Pot to heat it up
- Add vegetable or olive oil
- When hot, add the onions, carrots, and celery
- Fry until tender
- Add the garlic, cumin, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Keep stirring for a minute
- Add the lentils and pour in the broth and stir around
- Put on the lid
- Select ‘Manual’ button and set the timer for 12 minutes
- (It takes about 5-10 minutes for the Instant Pot to warm up)
- When the timer beeps, put the release valve to ‘venting’.
- After the steam has finished, remove the lid and add the spinach.
Here are the best of the rest