Celebrating Women’s Month: A Grandmother’s 10 Tips for a happier life
Agota Gabor has reinvented her career multiple times (including a TV producer and publicist), and today lives life to the fullest. From fleeing Russians from the bloody streets of the Hungarian Revolution as a child to becoming a renowned TV producer and publicist, Agota has collected 10 pieces of priceless advice that we could all use right now.
- Believe in yourself. Don’t be afraid of trying new things.
- The luckiest people are those who love what they do. Choose work you enjoy.
- Travel and keep on learning new things it will keep you interested and interesting.
- Have a life of your own outside of the marriage, as well as one with your partner. Don’t ever lose your identity.
- Never give up good friends.
- When not happy, make a change, try to create a life you enjoy living.
- If you have kids, stay with them as long as you can.
- You will have hard times. Some of your dreams won’t come true. Pick yourself up. Start over.
- Reinventing yourself is possible and fun.
- Take risks and don’t be afraid to try.
She details her story in her forthcoming memoir, Forever On Pointe: A True Story (Glissade Productions, April 2022) to inspire others that they can be resilient in hard times. She began writing the book to pass along lessons to her 16-year-old granddaughter.
“The recurring theme in my book and in my life is optimism,” says Gabor. “While as a child during the war, I knew hunger and trauma, and my dreams were shattered when as a young dancer I was paralyzed by polio, I kept on fighting, always ‘shooting for the moon.’ I want to encourage women—young and old—to have the guts and tenacity to go for life! If you need to, be like a cat with many lives. I want to share my story, that while life can be very tough, it can also be a great adventure.”