Why Are Men So Hard to Buy For? 3 Secrets and 20 Awesome Ideas: THE ULTIMATE DAD GIFT GUIDE
I’m going to let you into a little secret. There are 3 reasons why we’re almost impossible to buy for:
- We don’t know ourselves. We spend so much of our mental capacity making sure our family is cared for and has everything they need, we forgot to leave room to think about what makes us happy.
- Shiny things are fun until we’re distracted again. The things that could be on our gift list are either forgotten about, purchased at the time of desire or have been subconsciously considered not important enough for us to own and crossed out before even discussed.
- Our indistinct ‘style’, and by style I mean the rotation of wardrobe styles is hard to pin down. While not always ‘fashion-forward’, we tend to favour clothes that are comfortable, last a long time and are good value. Anything that doesn’t feel good or makes us feel silly will sink to the bottom of the drawer. Being sustainable, from brands we prefer, or being transitional enough for the weekend chores and outings, as well as the weekday Zoom calls is going to make it a favourite.
On the Shopping List:
- Shop Sustainably. Wherever possible, buy products from brands that are doing something positive for the environment and the people who are making the clothes.
- Avoid ‘fast-fashion’. Find things that will work for years, suitable for different situations (who knows what 2021 is going to bring?!).
- Don’t buy for novelty. Anything that is on the display table as soon as you walk into the store has a very limited shelflife. It’s only funny for a moment and will be first in line for the next yard sale of the Spring.
- Shop local. The small businesses in your neighbourhood are struggling with all the lockdowns and the ease of ordering online. Even the physical chain stores are finding it hard. Support your local employees, small businesses and opt for curbside pickup if you need it.
- Gift cards are great! It may seem impersonal, but we’ll think of you every time we use them. Local coffee shops, restaurants, clothes stores, sporting goods, or even gas cards. All useful, all help your community, and all very well received.
- Most of all, only give out of love. Spending time with someone is more than enough. Create memories, not ‘stuff’. Take the time to call, Skype, even write a letter.
Gift Ideas For the Hard to Buy For:
The Perfect Package 3.0 by MANSCAPED™
- The Perfect Package 3.0 Kit comes with the new and improved Lawn Mower 3.0™ waterproof, cordless body trimmer and a ton of other liquid formulations to round out your manscaping routine.
- This 3rd generation trimmer features a cutting edge ceramic blade to prevent manscaping accidents. Millions of balls are about to be nick-free thanks to MANSCAPED’s Advanced SkinSafe™ Technology!
- And of course, let’s not forget about the Crop Preserver™ ball deodorant and moisturizer. You already put deodorant on your armpits, right? So why are you not putting deodorant on the smelliest part of your body??
- When you purchase the new Perfect Package 3.0 kit at Manscaped.com, you get the biggest bang for your buck!
- Subscribers get a new replacement blade refill for your Lawn Mower™ 3.0 trimmer delivered to your door every 3 months, making sure your trimmer always stays fresh and clean
- For a limited time, subscribers get not one… but TWO FREE GIFTS — including the Shed Travel bag ($39 value).
Go to manscaped.com/socialdad and get 20% off + free shipping
Accessories for the Dapper Dad from Danish ‘TrendHim’
Trendhim is an international accessories company based in Denmark, and with everything from watches to sunglasses, scarves to leather bags and luggage, they’ve got everything for the dapper gent.
Stay Insanely Comfortable in the World’s Best Underwear
Sure, I’m very biased. As well as working for BN3TH, I wear them every single day. I wear them because they’re the most comfortable and supportive, but they’re also sustainable. By supporting carbon offsetting projects around the World, all the Tencel™ products (90% of the product range) is carbon neutral. Plus, the designs are awesome!
Sweet, sweet noise-cancelling Huawei FreeBuds Pro
Working from home or out for a stroll, there’s nothing better than shutting everything else out. I’ve had a pair of Huawei FreeBuds Pro for a month and use them everyday, whether in a Zoom call for work or listening to an audiobook while I tackle the dishes.
HUAWEI FreeBuds Pro are the world’s first true wireless stereo (TWS) earphones to support intelligent dynamic noise cancellation. Featuring a hardware and software integrated solution, the new TWS earphones intelligently identify the type of ambient noise based on the user’s immediate surroundings and switch between three profiles – General, Cosy and Ultimate – to offer the optimal noise-cancelling performance.
Spruce Up Your Home Office! – NOUHAUS Ergo3D Office Chair
Since I’ve been working from home, I’ve noticed my 40 year old wooden dining chair is giving me a terribly sore back!
On my wishlist is one of the gorgeously comfortable Ergo3D office chairs from NouHaus.
For a chair that goes beyond ergonomics, one that conforms to your body and your life, take a seat with the Ergo3D. The 4D-Orbital Armrests glide and tilt to a perfect and precise position, while our unique ‘Just-For-Me’ Lumbar Support System adjusts and hugs your back into perfect alignment to reduce compression and pain. The Ergo3D is so comfy, you’ll forget you’re even working.
- 4D-Orbital Armrests: Glide forwards, back, sideways, up and down, and pivots left and right
- ‘Just-For-Me’ Lumbar Support: Adjusts as you shift position for optimized back support
- Breathable Soft HD ElastoMesh: Optimal airflow to reduce sweating and sticking
- 2D-Adjust Headrest: Adjusts up and down with ErgoTilt for ideal neck placement
- 135 Degree Super Lounge Recline With Recline Lock
- Class-4 Heavy Duty Hydraulic Gas Lift
If your Santa is feeling extra generous – The “Classic” Massage Chair with Ottoman from NouHaus
Gone are the days of embarrassing massage chairs that look like one-man spacecraft. Because the Classic looks as good as it feels. Notice the modern half-dome look, stylish base and compact size – it’s one very sexy ‘everyday’ chair with some ‘Big Massage Chair’ Technology! In fact, it recently won the prestigious Red Dot Award for its “Incomparable Functionality and Aesthetic” and is now the nou-standard across the entire furniture industry worldwide. Luxury for your body, and your living room.
- **2020 Red Dot Award Winner
- S&L-Track Rollers Massage from Shoulders to Buttocks with 42 Deep Pressure Kneads/Minute
- Multiple Setting Control for Full Body or Spot Massage (Fixed or Range)
- Auto and Manual Function
- 4x Airbags Massage Hips with On/Off Function
- With Percussive, Straight Roll, Shiatsu Kneading, or Mixed Massage!
- 90 Degree Swivel and 15 Degree Reclining
- Removable Neck Pillow and External Ottoman
- Remote Control and Built-In Bluetooth Speaker
Walk Less, Ride More – eScooters are FUN
Of course I’m kidding, kinda. Walking and general exercise is good and everything, but why stroll when you can riiiiiiide. My daughter has a scooter but she’s super fast and I’m tired of running. What I really need (hint, hint Santa!) is one of these sweet Segway Ninebot eScooters, available from StepMobility.
USE CODE SOCIALDADXMAS2020 to SAVE $150
Locally Made Live Edge Wooden Coasters
Bring a touch of class to whatever you’re drinking to get through 2020 with some of Warren & Wayne Wood Co.’s coasters.
Live edge offcuts saved from larger projects and repurposed into unique coasters. No two coasters are the same.
- Currently only available in Western Red Cedar.
- Dimensions: 3-3/4″ x 3-3/4″ x 1/2″
- Finish: Wax and Oil blend
There are a number of other beautifully crafted wooden pieces available, each slightly different thanks to the nature of the wood.
Wayne Gretzky Estates Whisky – Some Hockey Guy, apparently
I was given a couple of bottles of whisky from ‘The Great One’s distillery and I can safely say that it’s one of the most delicious, smooth, and easy-drinking whisky I’ve ever had. Over ice, neat, with a little ginger ale, it’s all good. Just don’t mix it with coke. That’s a waste of 2 drinks.
Rethos Soap – Made with repurposed ingredients for a better planet
Carefully crafted to rejuvenate, cleanse, relax, and balance the mind & body.
Pretty much anything from SportChek! My 5 Faves
SportChek have EVERYTHING for getting active, getting cozy, and having fun whatever the season. Since Winter is by far my favourite season, I’ve been drooling over their ski jackets and skis.
If you’re going to spend any time in the snow, you’re gonna need a warm jacket that’s waterproof. This Helly Hansen Men’s Ullr Powder Face Jacket looks good and being a renowned brand like HH, you know it’s got what it takes.
The GoPro Hero9 is the latest sports camera that films in a whopping 5k and takes 20MP photos. It’s now got a better battery, front and back screens, and is hard as nails so it will survive no matter how many times you end up on your bum!
It only takes a few days of renting your skis and you might as well have spent the money on your own gear. Less lining up in the rental queues, and less wearing someone else’s sweaty boots.
These K2 Mindbender 90C Men’s Skis 2020/21 are from SportChek’s house brand and look very cool.
- Torsion Control Design, designed to enhance stability and control in all snow types. Combining a progressive torsional flex, with a balanced and even longitudinal profile. Torsionally stiffest in the forebody and center of the ski, then easing through the tail, K2 skis with TCD have both precise, accurate turn initiation and smooth, consistent turn release in all snow types
- carbon spectral braid, an extension of K2’s Torsion Control Design, this is a first of its kind variable angle reinforcement (Patent Pending) that allows for precision-tuned torsion and flex by altering the fiber orientation along the length of the ski. Lively, energetic and remarkably composed; Mindbender skis with K2’s Carbon Spectral Braid have stability and control in spades while remaining hyper maneuverable
- Slantwall, adding a 30-degree angle to the sidewallin K2’s Hybritech construction, Slantwall increases a skis agility and responsiveness while maintaining accuracy and power
For those who’d prefer spending their weekends watching their favourite team lose to the Seahawks (sorry, not sorry), a jersey is always a winner!
Whatever your recipient’s team, something to show off their fandom is a touchdown. Jerseys, t-shirts, and a bunch of other official merchandise make great stocking fillers and stars under the tree.
Socks aren’t exciting but we love getting them. Since they’re something we wear every day but rarely purchase for ourselves, socks are a great gift. They’re also a much-needed item at clothing drives for the needy, so if you’re getting a pack, grab another and give it to someone who really could use something warm.
Get Cozy, Stay Cozy – BN3TH PJs are THE BEST
Again, I’m biased because I work there, but I’m also biased because I’m wearing BN3TH pajamas right now and I wouldn’t have it any other way. They’re insanely comfortable, stretchy, light enough to keep you cool when your 5th coffee kicks in (just me?) and warm enough for even the chilliest of Winter mornings.
Word of warning though, these are unisex so you and your partner may fight over them. Better buy two pairs!
Chocolate. But not just any chocolate
Chocolate is another winner. It’s not too simple and it certainly doesn’t lack thought or emotion. Want to make it fancy or something? Put a bow on it or whatever. Make sure you get the good stuff though, specifically Cadbury’s chocolate from the UK. I don’t know why it’s better but it is.
Finishing off with a hot coffee. Nothing better!
The Keurig K-Duo Essentials Single Serve and Carafe Coffee Maker is the best of both worlds. Make a coffee pot and/or individual cups. Mix it up with a breakfast blend in the pot and a pumpkin spiced latte in the K-cup.
Dear Santa, can I have a dirt bike?
Sure, I’m probably not going to ever be able to get this, but since it’s an electric motorbike, it’s actually a great decision for me and the planet!
The Segway Dirt eBike X160 is available for under $3,000 and looks like an awful lot of fun!
So, dear Santa you handsome Holiday hero, though I’d be happy with any of the above listed goodies, or just a few good hugs from the ones I love, an e-dirt bike would be flippin’ sweet. Cheers!
Michael KwanNovember 5, 2020 at 9:02 pm
It’s true. Despite what popular opinion may lead you to believe, I really would like to receive a bunch of fun socks for Christmas. The nerdier, the better. A GoPro or DJI Osmo Pocket wouldn’t be bad either. 😉
SusanNovember 5, 2020 at 10:04 pm
What fantastic insights into shopping for men. Love all those gift ideas!
AngelaNovember 6, 2020 at 10:39 am
So many unique gift ideas! Especially love the handmade coasters and the super cool massage chair!
TeresaNovember 6, 2020 at 11:28 am
Aww so agree with your first point on men don’t even know what they like sometimes, my hubby doesn’t get out much lol even pre-pandemic! I feel like sometimes the wives know even better ha ha. I just ordered the Manscaped set for my hubby and you’ve shared so many other great gifts here I’m off to check them all out now thank you!