The REAL Man’s Guide to Being a Father
There’s been a lot of talk about manliness, what’s expected of us and brands telling me how I should behave.
As a man (I checked) and a dad, I wanted to share a quick guide to make sure my fellow manly men don’t get confused.
1. You are in charge of how your kids see you. Make sure they’re learning from a positive role model who is fun, kind, and inclusive.
2. Show up and be present. Play their silly games. To them the silliness is everything. It’s also great for their cognitive development.
3. Love yourself. They need to learn that they’re amazing and have incredible potential for generosity and love.
4. Show respect to other people no matter what.
5. Understand that you don’t know everything. It’s ok to not be the smartest in the room, as long as you’re learning something.
6. Let them be the boss during play. If they want to put makeup on, it’s ok. If anyone sees you, they’ll only think more of you.
7. Teach them about things you love. They might share your passion because they want to see you happy. Or they might not care, but they’ll be sure to find their own hobbies and provide you with an opportunity to share them.
8. Be kind with your words and your actions. They’re watching you all the time. Everything you do is being learned as acceptable behaviour.
9. Be brave. Show them it’s ok to be scared and then overcome it.
10. Take ownership of your actions and how they effect others. It’s ok to make mistakes, just make it right afterwards.
Did I miss any? Let me know in the comments.